Life Group Questions – 2/19
Different – A Study through 1 Peter
Read: 1 Peter 2:11-25
11 Dear friends, I urge you as strangers and exiles to abstain from sinful desires that wage war against the soul. 12 Conduct yourselves honorably among the Gentiles,[a] so that when they slander you as evildoers, they will observe your good works and will glorify God on the day he visits.13 Submit to every human authority because of the Lord, whether to the emperor[b] as the supreme authority 14 or to governors as those sent out by him to punish those who do what is evil and to praise those who do what is good. 15 For it is God’s will that you silence the ignorance of foolish people by doing good. 16 Submit as free people, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but as God’s slaves. 17 Honor everyone. Love the brothers and sisters. Fear God. Honor the emperor.18 Household slaves, submit to your masters with all reverence not only to the good and gentle ones but also to the cruel. 19 For it brings favor if, because of a consciousness of God, someone endures grief from suffering unjustly. 20 For what credit is there if when you do wrong and are beaten, you endure it? But when you do what is good and suffer, if you endure it, this brings favor with God.
21 For you were called to this, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. 22 He did not commit sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth;[c] 23 when he was insulted, he did not insult in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten but entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree; so that, having died to sins, we might live for righteousness. By his wounds[d] you have been healed. 25 For you were like sheep going astray,[e] but you have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer[f] of your souls.
- Why does Peter argue that we should submit as believers?
- What does it mean that these institutions were ordained by God?
- When is it appropriate to take a stand against authority?
- Why should we honor others?
- What is the difference between honor and worship?
- How do we silence those who disagree with us?
- What does Christ suffering for us mean to you?
- Like Christ, we need to entrust ourselves to the one who judges justly. How do we do that?
- How do we demonstrate that Jesus is our shepherd?