Seek the Gifts that Edify
1 Cor. 14:1-40
Remember, childcare is from 5:45 to 7:15. Please do not drop them off earlier than 5:45 or pick them up later than 7:15.
Leaders, please do not let this discussion turn into a bashing in either support or opposition of tongues. We do not know where our brothers and sisters in Christ stand on this; therefore, we want to edify our Church body and not distract it from the Gospel.
- What is the role of the prophet in the Bible? Read Deuteronomy 18:18.
- The role of the prophet is to be the mouthpiece of God. His job is to say the words that God speaks.
- Concerning future prophecy, we hear people say things like, “I have a new word from God,” “I have a prophecy for your life,” or “I know when the Lord will return.” How do you know if they are right? Read Deuteronomy 18:21-22.
- If it comes true or not.
- To prophecy is also to preach the word of God. When someone preaches, they are saying that this is the message that God has given. How do we know if they are right? (This also applies to those claiming a new prophecy.) Read 1 Corinthians 14:29 and 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21.
- We need to test everything we hear. You can test by looking at the Scriptures. Does it line up? If it does not, it is wrong. If you are unsure, you need to seek counsel of two or three people. Do they believe it lines up? You can also listen to the testimony of Church history. What do the church fathers say about the idea? We are to test and not immediately assume they are wrong. Thessalonians warns we may quench the Spirit.
- What are the two types of tongues?
- Unintelligible tongues and intelligible tongues.
- Why does Paul indicate that unintelligible tongues should not be done in the church? Read 1 Corinthians 14:8-12.
- Because it does not build up.
- Paul does not mock it or call it wrong, so we should not either. He does call tongues wrong if done out loud in the church during a song, teaching, or during a lesson because of it a distraction.
- What three illustrations does Paul give about unintelligible tongues?
- If an instrument is not playing well and the sound does not have variance, it’s just noise.
- In the military, the battle charge would be played by a bugle, but if the bugler did not make the right and distinct sound, no one would charge.
- With language, you can speak all you want, but if the person who is listening does not speak your language, they will not understand what you’re saying.
- What was the key Pastor Todd gave us for understanding the proper use of spiritual gifts such as tongues in the church service?
- Spiritual gifts are to be used in worship to bring clarity and order, not confusion and chaos.
Take a moment and plan a game night or a night out with your group. Look at your calendars and set a date.
We are looking for 30 Trunks. Trunk or Treat is October 31st, 6pm-8pm. Trunks will need to be set up and decorated by 5:30pm. Cars will need to stay and be manned until 8:30pm. There will be a contest for those who would like to enter. Please sign up at the Hub. https://tabernaclefamily.org/trunk-or-treat/
Thursday, October 31st – 6-8pm
All Ellis County families are invited to come out to our Trunk or Treat Fall Festival on Thursday, October 31st, from 6:00 – 8:00 pm. This is a FREE event for the community. We’ll have games, candy, bounce houses, and a lot of fun!
PARTICIPATE BY COMING
The first way you can participate is just by showing up! Trunk or Treat will be in our parking lot. Our address is 1200 Country Club Rd., Ennis TX, 75119. Come in your favorite costume and a great attitude. We hope you have a great time
For more information, contact the church office (972) 875-3861, or email our Children’s minister, LISA@TABERNACLEFAMILY.ORG
PARTICIPATE BY OPENING YOUR TRUNKAnother way you can be involved is by giving out candy and running a game out of the trunk of your vehicle. All cars/vehicles are welcome! All cars must complete a registration form at the link above.