Marriage: Foundation and Purpose
Read Genesis 2:18-25
- What is the healthiest marriage you have ever seen? Why do you consider that a healthy marriage?
- What are God’s purpose and plan for marriage?
- 2:23 That man and woman would be fruitful and multiply. 2:24 Also gives the idea that they would go and start a life together, “leave father and mother and hold fast to his wife.”
- The Bible says that God desired to make Adam a suitable helper. Todd
showed us from the Hebrew that the word is, “helpmeet,” how did he describe the
- Todd described that the helpmeet was more than just a helper, but rather, an indispensable helper. Further study shows that helpmeet is a compound word. The first part means salvation like in the context of war or like a mighty warrior. The second part of the word means corresponding or opposing. The woman is genuinely indispensable; she is a mighty warrior that corresponds and is a complementary figure to her husband. She is equal in every way with a different role. To illustrate this, it is like trying to clap without both of your hands. You need the right and left to correspond to one another.
- How does marriage reflect the glory of God?
- Marriage reflects God in His Trinity of being one and equal but having separate roles functioning together in unison driven by love. The role of the Son, Spirit, and the Father are different in function. The Trinity does not work if the Son and the Spirit, though equal, do not submit to the plan of the Father out of love. That is the same as marriage, the husband and wife are equal and are one flesh, but without submission in love, the marriage cannot work correctly and does not reflect the glory of God.
- Does marriage complete a person, is that
what it means that two become one flesh? Can a single person be whole? What
does it say about a person if they believe they need a person to make them
- Marriage does not complete anyone. A single person can be whole.
- The two becoming one flesh is not a statement of completion but two different things coming together to make one new thing. Like two pieces of metal being fused together. When the two pieces are welded together, they come together to create a new single piece of metal. They were whole before being put together.
- God is the only person that can make us whole. If a person needs another person to make them whole, they are putting their spouse or spouse to be in place of God, thereby making them an idol.
Be in thought about a project(s) your Lifegroup can do in the community. When you decide your project, please email email@example.com so we can keep track of what God is doing through our church.
A service project coming in October is Band Night at the football game. Parents work the concession stands and don’t get to watch their kids march, so we take over for the night and allow the parents to participate in their student’s last home game of the year.
Look around the room and notice anyone missing. The summer is a natural time to get lost or fall through the cracks. Set a reminder on your phone right now to text or call them.
Remember, childcare is from 5:45 to 7:30. Please do not drop them off earlier than 5:45 or pick them up later than 7:30.