This Week’s Sermon:
A Mountain Made for a King: Mount Calvary
Read Mark 15:1-39
- The King on Trial
- The King Tortured
- The King Crucified
- Explain why it is an oxymoron that the Jews and Pilate would put Jesus on trial?
- Jesus broke no laws. Jesus is the creator and the lawgiver and these feeble men are subjecting Jesus to their laws. One day they will stand before Jesus at the Great White Throne of Judgment to be judged by Jesus, the judge who is faithful and true.
- Pilate seems to be looking for any reason to set Jesus free. Why didn’t Jesus just speak up and say He was innocent?
- The reason that Jesus did not speak up was to fulfill the prophecy of Is. 53:7. Read Is. 53:7 and discuss how Jesus fulfilled this passage and why.
- What does it mean that God is sovereign?
- It means that God is totally and completely in control of my situation.
- What does it mean that we need to trust God’s sovereignty when we are going through suffering?
- Our comfort is knowing that God is in complete control of our situation and that we have the promise of Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
- Have you ever had to weather a bad situation that God did not change? Pastor Todd challenged us not to grow weary doing good in situations like that. How did you or what do you wish you would have done differently to honor God through your bad situation?
- How hard is it to trust God when you cannot feel the presence of God in your life? How do you combat those feelings?
- We often talk about the death of Christ and the importance of the atonement. What does it mean that Jesus atoned for our sins? Read Hebrew 10:18-22. What does this mean?
- As the lamb was to be sacrificed for Israel to cover their sins, Jesus was the sacrifice for the world. Through Jesus’ death, Jesus paid the sin debt for the entire world.