This Week’s Sermon: The Danger of Hell
19 “Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day. 20 And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, 21 and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. 22 Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. 26 And [a]besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father’s house— 28 for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham *said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”
- Hell is Real
- Hell is Eternal
- Hell is a Place of Agony
- Hell is Isolation
- Good Intentions Are in Hell
- What are false thoughts people have about Hell? What are things that you are unsure of as it concerns Hell?
- If God is love, why does Hell exist?
- Hell exists because that which is unholy cannot be in the presence of a holy God. That is why Jesus came to give us the holiness of God.
- Why do we all deserve to go to Hell?
- Because man is inheritably sinful. Romans 3:23 says, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”
- Do you feel like you or other Christians shy away when talking about Hell?
- When you think about Hell, does fear take over your thoughts or does it cause you to have compassion towards others?
- Do you think most unbelievers know Hell is real? If not, what do they think it is or do they think anything about what comes after life?
- Why do you think Jesus spoke so much about Hell?
- If you know that your unbeliever friends and family members are going to hell, why don’t you talk to them about Jesus?
Who is Your One – Prayer time
o Have you decided on a name that you are praying for?
o Have you reached out to your ONE yet? If so how did that go?
o We are praying that God would…
§ Lay one person on our heart.
§ Use people in our church to bring their ONE to faith in Jesus.
§ Grant courage to our church to invite their ONE to a service.
§ Use our Cross Service to show lost people the depths of the love of God.
§ Use the Easter service to convict believers who are not connected to God to repent of their sins and become connected to the ministries of Tabernacle.