Discipline: Catch Them Doing Something Right
Read Proverbs 23:12-16
- Describe a situation when you caught your kids or grandkids doing something right when you knew they were doing something wrong?
- How would it impact your children if you started trying to catch them doing something right and affirming that action with greater enthusiasm than when you catch them doing something wrong?
- When you think of discipline, what comes to mind?
- Read the passages and one at a time to explain the different ways, positive or negative, that you see Jesus disciplining His disciples. Jesus is our great example. He is the greatest discipler, so we should study how He disciplined to consider how we should.
- Matthew 16:13-17 https://www.esv.org/Matthew+16/
- Matthew 16: 21-23 https://www.esv.org/Matthew+16/ (notice it was the same conversation)
- Luke 21:1-4 https://www.esv.org/Luke+21/
- Luke 11:1-4 https://www.esv.org/Luke+11/
- Proverbs 23:14 says, “You shall strike him with the rod and rescue his soul from Sheol.” What is the passage saying about discipline? What is the danger of neglecting discipline?
- Psalm 1:27:3 says, “Children are a blessing from the Lord.” Do you sometimes struggle to treat them as if they are a blessing?
- Do you think your kids believe that you feel that they are a blessing?
- Have you ever been around a person who was not disciplined as a child (maybe in your extended family) that you have seen come to ruin as an adult because they were “loved by their parents too much” to be disciplined? What was that like? Why is it not loving to spoil your children?
- How does following through with discipline teach children about God and the Gospel?
- Do you have a plan on how you are going to
disciple (teach) your children to love God?
- This is a great systematized method for training your children at any age to both love and learn about Jesus.
Be in thought about a project(s) your Lifegroup can do in the community. When you decide your project, please email [email protected] so we can keep track of what God is doing through our church.
A service project coming in October is Band Night at the football game. Parents work the concession stands and don’t get to watch their kids march, so we take over for the night and allow the parents to participate in their student’s last home game of the year.
Take a moment to consider who your group can reach out to this week.