2 Timothy 3:16-17
2 Timothy 3:16-17
“All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”
Read: We are a biblically rooted church who wants to help you overcome life’s emptiness through a deeper relationship with Christ and connection to a family who cares.
- How would you feel if you went into a church that did not believe that God was the author of the Bible?
- What implications do you think that would have on a church that does not believe that the Bible is actually from God?
- How would a bible study go?
- How can you address sin or even define sin?
- Why would it be important to go to church if God isn’t speaking through His word?
- What does it mean that the Bible is inspired by God?
- It means that the Bible came from God. Pastor Todd says, “The whole Bible is breathed out by God. It comes from His mind through the pen of men and penetrates our hearts.”
- Some would argue that inspiration is the most important doctrine in the Bible. Why is the doctrine of inspiration so important? Why should we care?
- It means the Bible came from the very mind of God. We can trust that the Bible is from God. So we should use the Bible to guide our lives
- The proper term for how we understand the doctrine of inspiration is called verbal plenary which means God said every word He wanted to say in the Bible, God said His words exactly how He wanted to say His words, and God used human authors to do accomplish His will.
- For us to say our church is, “biblically rooted,” do you think that it is necessary for us to hold to the verbal plenary doctrine of inspiration? Why?
- It is essential! If any part of the Bible is not from God, how do we know which parts are not from God or from God? The Bible could not be trusted and the truths about God, salvation, and the afterlife could not be trusted either.
- Read Timothy 3:16-17. Why does Timothy say that all teaching of Scripture is profitable? Briefly describe what each of these things means in your Christian life.
- “for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work,”
- Scripture is the thing that God uses to equip us to do His work and bring Him glory.
- BIG QUESTION: How does the doctrine of inspiration impact your life? More simply put, how does studying Scripture and trusting that God is the author of Scripture impact your life?
- Because when we do, we know that we are listening to God Himself.
- In the Word of God, we’re given a worldview on marriage, sexuality, money, work, family, and more. It impacts every part of your life.
For further study watch Voddie Baucham’s sermon, “Why I Choose to Believe the Bible.”