Captivated By Christ: Galatians
Church Vision Statement
We are a biblically rooted church that wants to help you overcome life’s emptiness through a deeper relationship with Christ and a connection to a family who cares.
- What is the coolest place you have traveled too?
- These are worth your time because people are connecting, and you are learning your people.
Read: Galatians 3:15-19
15 To give a human example, brothers: even with a man-made covenant, no one annuls it or adds to it once it has been ratified. 16 Now, the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ. 17 This is what I mean: the law, which came 430 years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void. 18 For if the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise.
- When was the first time you realized that Jesus was spoken about in the Old Testament?
- Do you see how God uses the covenants as signposts to point us to Jesus?
- Read Genesis 3:15. How does the Ademic Covenant point us to Christ?
- Why was it necessary that Jesus did not have an earthly father?
- Read Genesis 12:1-3 How does Jesus bring this covenant to fulfillment?
- There are three parts to the covenant: land, seed, and blessing. The land is Cannan, but it is also the Promised Land of heaven that Jesus gives us access to through faith in heaven. The Seed is the promise of offspring. In Abraham’s immediate life it was Isaac, but this passage tells us it is Jesus. Finally, blessing, through Jesus’ death and resurrection all the nations of the earth have been blessed.
- Does/did seeing Christ in the Old Testament change the way you viewed God or the Scriptures? If so, how?
- Do you ever feel the burden of feeling like you have to try harder and do better to make God love you? In your life how does “trying harder” manifest itself?
- What events or thoughts trigger feelings of insufficiency or needing to earn God’s love?
- How do you escape those feelings? Is God’s word and time in prayer primarily what you reach for, or something else?
- What types of spiritual disciplines do you use to grow deeper in Christ?
- Have you ever considered anxiety as a cause of feeling the need to earn God’s satisfaction or favor?
- Three-part question:
- Have you struggled with anxiety in this season? If so, in what way?
- Do you have anxiety over not getting into heaven because you have not done enough?
- If so, what things do you feel as though you need to do?
- Help your group understand that we do spiritual activities (pray, read, evangelize, etc… ) to honor Christ, not to get to heaven. We do these things because we get heaven and Jesus… not to earn heaven or the love of Jesus.
- How and where do you find time in your day to spend time with Jesus?
- Spend time in prayer for our country and pray for unity in the aftermath of the election.