13Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises.14Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him. 16Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. 17Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. 18Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.
19My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, 20let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, so let us pray with desperation.
Church Vision Statement
We are a biblically rooted church that wants to help you overcome life’s emptiness through a deeper relationship with Christ and connection to a family who cares.
- A Night of Prayer June 28th, 7:30 PM at Minnie McDowl Park in Downtown Ennis.
- Since most groups meet on Sunday Night, this LifeGroup Guide is noticeably shorter so that everyone will have enough time to make it to the prayer meeting.
- Let’s take a moment and pray for the Lord’s guidance tonight that there would be a spirit of unity, that we as a community of faith would engage together in authentic worship through prayer, and that God would bring healing to the hearts of the broken.
- Invite a few people to pray, you need to pray also.
- Encourage your group to go to the prayer meeting and have an open mind.
- The most important things we can do as believers look passive to the rest of the world. Prayer, humbling ourselves, being willing to serve and showing love are our responsibilities as children of God. How are those actions, or the fruit from those actions, made evident in our lives?
- What were the two types of prayers we talked about in the sermon this morning? How do you most often use prayer in your life?
- The two types of prayers were prayers of praise and asking for a blessing.
- What are your greatest barriers to consistency in your prayer life? What are some ways you think we can remove these barriers?
- For most of us, our cell phones and other distractions are barriers. Additional barriers could be choosing the wrong time of day or the wrong location.
- Do you believe barriers to praying are spiritual warfare? In what ways could barriers to prayer be considered spiritual warfare?
- Personally, have you been committed to praying and believing God can get rid of Corona? Or did you start out praying confidently for deliverance, but since it did not happen you kind of stopped praying out of fatigue. Or do you struggle to believe that God will do anything about Corona? Why do you think you fall into one of these three camps?
- If you desire transparency in your group it starts with you. If you are struggling even a little share that because that will create the environment of sharing.
- Have you ever prayed for healing and seen God bring healing?
- If we pray in faith that God would heal us or answer a prayer, is God then obligated to fulfill that prayer?
- Pastor Todd talked about this idea in his sermon. God does what He wills. Sometimes He will hear your prayer and answer it, but sometimes He might allow us to continue in our suffering because He has a different plan for us.
- Looking back as we finish the book of James what has been your biggest takeaway from the book of James?
- For me, it was to listen before I speak.
- One Sunday night instead of working through the LifeGroup Guide watch “American Gospel.” It is a documentary dealing with the Word of Faith/ Prosperity movement on Netflix. You can also rent it on Amazon Prime. It will be an eye-opening experience into the prosperity Gospel and understand what is known as the health and wealth Gospel.