Captivated By Christ: Galatians
Church Vision Statement
We are a biblically rooted church that wants to help you overcome life’s emptiness through a deeper relationship with Christ and a connection to a family who cares.
- As a kid, what was the first thing that you remember buying with your own money?
- These are worth your time because people are getting to connect and you are learning your people.
Read Galatians 1:1-10
1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead),2 and all the brethren who are with me,
To the churches of Galatia:
3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,4 who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be the glory forevermore. Amen.
6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!
10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
- How did you bring the saltiness of Christ to your life or situation this week?
- Do you know how FBI agents are trained to spot false $100 bills?
- They do not study forgeries, but rather they study the real thing.
- To spot false Gospels we have to know the real thing. Go around the room, how would you explain the Gospel?
- The Gospel is the good news that God had compassion on His rebellious sinful creation. God sent His Son as a substitute to be our sacrifice. Jesus was crucified and three days later rose from the grave. God sent the Spirit of God to live inside of us. The Gospel is also about the afterlife that Jesus purchased us by His blood to dwell with Him forever in heaven and everyone who does not believe in Him will be punished in hell.
- What was the problem with the Galatian church? How did they distort the Gospel?
- They just were bringing aspects of Judism into the church. For instance, they were saying to be saved you had to be circumcised.
- Why are some reasons you think that people start to change or distort the Gospel?
- Power. People distort the Gospel of grace into a gospel of works that will give people power.
- How can you know if anything is a false Gospel?
- If anything is added that you have to do besides believe to be saved.
- What are distortions, or things that you think are distortions, of the Gospel? And discuss how the distortion changes the message of the Gospel.
- Some say you need to speak in tongues to be saved, pray for penance, do good works, be baptized, take communion.
- Why is it important that we defend and speak out in love against a false or distorted gospel?