This Mountain is one of brutal pain and beautiful glory. Mount Calvary was the place where God’s Love and Wrath meet. There is not glory without pain. And no better place is this seen than Calvary.
1. The King on Trial (v. 1-15)
- Isaiah 53:7 “He was oppressed and He was afflicted,
Yet He did not open His mouth;
Like a lamb that is led to slaughter,
And like a sheep that is silent before its shearers,
So He did not open His mouth.”
- Never forget God’s sovereign control over your life even when you don’t understand and all seems lost.
- Mark 15:15 “Wishing to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas for them, and after having Jesus scourged, he handed Him over to be crucified.
2. The King Tortured (v. 15-41)
- Mark 15:19 “They kept beating His head with a reed, and spitting on Him, and kneeling and bowing before Him.”
- Mark 15:32 “Let this Christ, the King of Israel, now come down from the cross, so that we may see and believe!”
3. Spiritual Pain
- Mark 15:34 “My God My God, why have you forsaken me?”
- “He was Rejected and scorned by Israel, sacrificed as a political pawn by Rome, denied and abandoned by his own followers, wholly forsaken and exposed to the horror of humanity’s sin, and now with His dying breath Jesus senses his separation from God.” James R. Edwards
- At the moment of Jesus’ Death
- With Jesus’ last breath he cried out
- The veil in the temple was torn from top to bottom.
- The Centurion who brutalized Jesus believed
- John 19:30 “It is Finished”
- Hebrews 10:18-22 “Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin. No more lambs have to be slaughtered because The Lamb of God was. Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.”
- Romans 10:9-10 “if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”